Canon ImageClass Printer

Thread: Canon ImageClass Printer

Canon ImageClass Printer

I have a Canon ImageClass MF6540 printer/scanner/copier.

First, I'm trying to get the printer working.

I have the unit hooked up to my Debian Squeeze server via USB.

Code:
    $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:2686 Canon, Inc. MF6500 series
    I downloaded the Canon UFR II driver for linux from one of their foreign websites (Australia or Japan I believe) and configured cups to use it through the web interface. When I try to print a test page cups gives an error.

Code:
    E [16/Sep/2011:10:02:57 -0700] [Job 1301] src = libcanon_pdlwrapper.c, line = 512, err = 0¥nError Response:ReqNo=2, SeqNo=3,opvpErrorNo=-2

Canon image class error libcanon_pdlwrapper.c,

googling on your error just seems to give: I got this problem or "the driver worked fine for me.."

are you running a 64bit?

I assume you went somewhere like here

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/con...100270807.html

for the driver

from this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1051284.html

there may be some stuff for you to search through

(I know your error isn't called a dependency issue........but....)

I solved this [the dependency issue in 9.10] by modifying the tutorial at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305248 for the 4370dn:

First, I downloaded and extracted the drivers as described previously in this thread.

Then open up a terminal and go to the Downloads folder:

cd Downloads/Canon_UFRII_Linux_V1.90_EN/32-bit_Driver/Debian/
    dpkg-deb -x cndrvcups-common_1.90-1_i386.deb common
    dpkg-deb --control cndrvcups-common_1.90-1_i386.deb
    cd DEBIAN/
    gedit control
    Then change the depends line to read libcups2 instead of libcupsys2, and save.

copy the entire DEBIAN folder into common.

Then:

cd ../
    dpkg -b common cndrvcups-common_1.90-1_i386.deb
    Once you've rebuilt the deb, you can install them normally. I have this printer working on 32 and 64 bit machines.

I did download the UFR driver from somewhere like that, but don't remember seeing that specific thread. I am running 64-bit, which only came in RPMs so I used alien to convert them to DEBs, but that was a while ago and I can't find my old work anymore, so I uninstalled what I had and tried again. Maybe I had force-installed the 32-bit DEBs before. Either way, I'm still getting the same error at this point. I'll try unpacking the DEB and/or RPM and peek around in there next. I doubt those specific edits will help, but my error message is specifying a specific file and line number I could look for and hope is there.

I found nothing inside the DEB files that looked relevant. I compared their contents to the original RPMs and found no inconsistencies. I looked in the 32-bit DEBs and made sure all of their dependencies (presumably the same as for the 64-bit ones) were installed, which they were. I am at a loss, here.

When I try printing a PDF from the command line, the cups error log shows a ghostscript error, with little more information than exit status = 1.

Well, mea culpa. I missed one of your links in that post, the answer I needed was at the bottom. There were some missing 32-bit dependencies, even for my 64-bit system. Thank you.

Now I'm on to scanning. I'll open a new thread for that.