Oracle calendar no longer working after KDE update

Thread: Oracle calendar no longer working after KDE update

Oracle calendar no longer working after KDE update

OpenSuSE 11.4

"error while loading shared libraries: libctvcal.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Okay that's the error message I am getting after an update to my system. The application has worked flawlessly for 5 years, and now it doesn't work. Not sure why. I found the missing library so I don't know how to get the system to "see" it.

The library is here: /home/USER/Applications/Oracle/Calendar/lib/core/libctvcal.so

How do I get this working again? Everything I have looked up so far has been of no help and seems to be addressing an issue with FreeBSD. But I haven't found any fixes or even suggestions of how to fix.

Thanks!
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

Vanpooling now...

Is the entire Oracle Calendar program installed in your home directory like that?

How big of a KDE update was it? 3->4? 4.2->4.6/7? or a 4.7.1->4.7.2 type?
    I've never had a positive KDE upgrade experience, usually relating to KDEPIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafnoutios View Post
    Is the entire Oracle Calendar program installed in your home directory like that?

How big of a KDE update was it? 3->4? 4.2->4.6/7? or a 4.7.1->4.7.2 type?
    I've never had a positive KDE upgrade experience, usually relating to KDEPIM.
    Yes it is, has been for the last 5 years and worked great till now. I issued this:

zypper dup

and that's when it all came apart.

Vanpooling now...

If you've got the lib files (run ldd on the binary to be double sure) then using a wrapper script to start it up that exports your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the location of said lib files may fix it... IIRC that is what I've had to do to run Corporate Time (the predecessor to Oracle Calendar) many moons ago...
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/home/USER/Applications/Oracle/Calendar/lib/core/
    ldconfig
    /path/to/binary

Hmmm, so my work station suffered a RAID controller meltdown and I have been rebuilding the system since then. This included a fresh installation of OpenSuSE 11.4 (I am sticking with it as I know it worked with all my software requirements). BUT now the calendar program will only run as root, when I try to run it as user it will start, allow me to login then promptly quit.

There is no error, no message when I start the application from CLI. It just closes. At least I can run it as root... but that's not a satisfactory solution long term. Any ideas?

Vanpooling now...

Quote Originally Posted by MkIII_Supra View Post
    Hmmm, so my work station suffered a RAID controller meltdown and I have been rebuilding the system since then. This included a fresh installation of OpenSuSE 11.4 (I am sticking with it as I know it worked with all my software requirements). BUT now the calendar program will only run as root, when I try to run it as user it will start, allow me to login then promptly quit.

There is no error, no message when I start the application from CLI. It just closes. At least I can run it as root... but that's not a satisfactory solution long term. Any ideas?
    Permissions on the file(s)? Check group ownership, or make sure they are executable by all users on hte system. Also check $PATH differences between your root user and regular user account.