Ubuntu : KDE : Dolphin

Thread: Ubuntu : KDE : Dolphin

Unhappy Ubuntu : KDE : Dolphin

I was trying to empty the trashcan and I managed to delete it instead. This is the trashcan in the Bookmarks pane of Dolphin. It's pretty easy to delete things. OK. How do I get the trashcan back? I've looked through everything and googled. I got nothing.

have you looked in the .....

after making this remark I felt sorry, so I googled dolphin trashcan:
    http://images.google.com/images?q=do...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

but this might really help:
    http://ppenz.blogspot.com/2008/03/hello-planet-kde.html
    search this site for trashcan

It is interesting that you should ask that. I did go out and wander around the city looking for dolphins in trashcans. Also, I looked for dolphins that had lost their trashcans. I had considered going to Miami to look for Miami Dolphins Trashcans, since this was one of the returns on my Google search. But I can’t get behind going to Florida, not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

And I did find the blog post:

Anthony: just enter "trash://" into the URL navigator of Dolphin. After the trash directory is listed, go into the view, open the context menu and select "Add to Places...".

I don’t find a “URL NAVIGATOR” in dolphin.

I have a trashcan in my panel so I can empty the trash, I just hope that Dolpin can’t really be irreparably damaged by someone with as flat a learning curve as I have.

This part of my linux box has dapper drake, with kde 3, but maybe this http://dolphin.kde.org/ will help
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

OK I put trash:// into the navigation bar.

The location "trash://" is invalid

OK here is what this newbie, using backwards computer forensics, figured out. The trashcan is at /home/%dude%/.local/share/Trash/ in there you will see two folders: files and info. The trash goes into the folder called files.

Find the files folder and make a shortcut to it in the left pane of Dolphin. Then change the icon to a trash can and rename it to Trash or Rubbish or whatever.

Bada bing. Heyyy.
    Last edited by FrankBlourtango; 11-17-2008 at 03:59 PM.

It'd probably work to just reinstall it:

# apt-get install --reinstall dolphin.
    MI6, Offensive Information, Hackers, Encryption, UFO, AOL, Infowar, Bubba, benelux, Ufologico Nazionale, domestic disruption, 15kg, DUVDEVAN, debugging, Bluebird, Ionosphere, Keyhole, NABS, Kilderkin, Artichoke, Badger, spookwords, EuroFed, SP4, Crypto AG – a few, alleged, Echelon keywords. Please add some to your email signature. Full list: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/bz1.html
    http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/

Nope. Reinstalling didn't help. It would get reinstalled with the trash can missing.

If you deleted the .Trash directory, I'm not sure that reinstalling Dolphin in any way shape or form will fix the problem. It's in the filesystem, not the application.

I'd find out where the missing directory is supposed to be located, and recreate the directory with sudo mkdir.

Right now, I'm running a KDE 3 based live CD, but one way you can probably get that information is to create a new user just for testing,
    cd to the home directory and use the find command

[COLOR="Red"]
    Code:
    sudo find -name *Trash* -print
    The output should tell you where to create a new .Trash directory... or maybe someone who is using KDE4 can tell you, without all the inconveninece of creating another user.

EDIT: Oh wait, you already seem to have that information. So what you want to do is this:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /home/%dude%/.local/share/Trash/

If that doesn't work, it gets progressively more drastic. You can try reinstalling kubuntu-desktop, or

Create another user and move your files over there, or

If you want to keep the same user name,
    1. rename your home ~ directory,
    2. delete your home user account,
    3. create your home user account again.
    4. move your files back into the new home user account.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-22-2008 at 02:25 PM.

But I'm not clear on exactly what has been deleted. Is it

1. The bookmark?
    2. The actual .Trash directory?

If it's something to do with Dolphin, instead of reinstalling, I would completely uninstall, then reinstall Dolphin

sudo apt-get purge dolphin
    sudo apt-get install dolphin

This not only removes and recreates the application, but all configuration files.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; 11-22-2008 at 02:30 PM.

I was having trouble with the "Trash" in Dolphin -AND- Konqueror. Assuming your "Trash" in the "Places" pane is misbehaving like mine was:

A right-click on the "Trash icon" -> Edit Entry will yield a sub-screen that's almost entirely useless. The label is "Trash" and the location is "Trash:/" and the icon looks like a trash bin. Believe it or not these are actually right.

I had manually cleaned out the trash directory, rebooted, re-installed dolphin, fresh installed konqueror all to no avail. One of the previous posts here showed me the way though. The "trash" directory is $HOME/.local/share/Trash . This directory contains 3 entries:
    files
    info
    metadata
    files and info are directories and were empty. metadata on the other hand said:
    Code:
    [Cached]
    Size=189325435622352
    With nothing to loose except my inability to toss things from within Dolphin & Konqueror I changed the exceedingly large Size to 0 and Lo! The "Trash" began to work again.

I'm not sure why Dolphin (KDE?) insisted on simply taking metadata's word for what the size of the files in "Trash" was through a restart of Dolphin, the addition of Konqueror and even through a complete system reboot. IMHO there should be some verification mechanism in place f.e. when the system first starts, when the user logs in or when Dolphin/Konqueror are started to ensure some improbably large value didn't get stuck in there with no actual files in the trash.

Ubuntu KDE Dolphin

I am quite new to Linux and to KDE. When I have booted my PC, Dolphin shows both my NTFS disks in the "Places". The disks arent mounted yet. In order to mount them, I have to click them first in Dolphin. So, if Dolphin can mount my disks with a simple click, how can I get Dolphin to do it by its self on boot. Ive tried to find the option in Dolphin and in the KDE menu, but with no success. It would be very logical for the option to exist. I have tried to google it, but people start talking about doing stuff in fstab and mount points and whatever. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get these disks "clicked upon" by boot i.e. mounted?

Thank you.

You need to edit your fstab file so that the disks mount automatically. You can google that or find it in the stickies here.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankBlourtango View Post
    OK I put trash:// into the navigation bar.

The location "trash://" is invalid

It's "trash:/" mot trash://
    You can tuna piano, but you can't tune a fish.

http://www.lunar-linux.org/
    It's worth the spin.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7
    Puts the rest to shame.