Anyone Still Around From the LNO Days? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Still Around From the LNO Days?

I remember LinuxNewbie.org, as a raucus place where people argued about politics A LOT! Someone decided to change the format just in time to avoid discussions about the Iraq War. It's been a godsend, in my opinion, to have one place where I could avoid that crap and talk about constructive topics with people I often disagree with about politics. The rants about KDE4 were bad enough. Yes, I know, I was the one who was usually ranting about KDE4. Actually, it's not that bad, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
    I remember LinuxNewbie.org, as a raucus place where people argued about politics A LOT! Someone decided to change the format just in time to avoid discussions about the Iraq War. It's been a godsend, in my opinion, to have one place where I could avoid that crap and talk about constructive topics with people I often disagree with about politics. The rants about KDE4 were bad enough. Yes, I know, I was the one who was usually ranting about KDE4. Actually, it's not that bad, i guess.
    It's interesting - I'm on another tech forum that has a P&R forum for those topics, and although it drives a lot of traffic to the site, I think it also drives a lot of it away and tends to cause problems between members in the other forums. That site's traffic is down somewhat lately too, so I think to some extent it's just the way things are these days. With social networking sites people aren't going out looking for forums as much as they used to.

Just looked in...

I was on LNO from 1999. I remember SupraMk3 mostly.

Back in those days I think I was on Mandrake.

After far too long I installed Debian Squeeze on an old laptop recently and thought I would come on here and ask about wireless networking.

Not sure I'll find an answer though. This forum is a shadow of what it was.

Hope Jason is doing OK.
    woof

you old farts are depressing

Just another old schooler saying hello!
    I would now like to proudly announce that during the making of this post no animals were harmed in any way. Let's see if I can make it 2 in a row, mmmmmmkay?

Currently running debian on an UltrasparcIIi (2.4.18), gentoo on an amd 1500xp (2.6.7) fedora core 2 on a pent4 (2.6.5), osx on a g4 ibook. and finally Irix 6.5.22 on a SGI O2 270mhz mips machine.

Not sure if I am old enough to be old school, been around a while though. I used to post much more often for a few reasons.

1. Noob! When first learning something, a person may need a lot of help. But once they get past that, start to figure things out and get the google fu going, they don't need as much help.

2. Weird quirks/hardware support. Sure there are still a few weird issues from time to time but for the most part hardware just works.

3. I had more free time (I suspect this describes a lot of people). Lately I'm: a) studying for the A +, b) looking for a different job, c) working weird hours, etc. I literally have a backlog of written out computer and writing projects I want to get to.

I have learned a lot here and I'm grateful for it. I've found these forums to be very friendly and informative. Often I browse posts of others and learn from those. I am naturally curious and enjoy learning new things.
    Currently running Xubuntu & Blag.

My blog:
    http://truthjournal.blogspot.com

The Easy Guide to Installing debian:
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016

It's been a little over 2 years since my last log in, still using linux, mint Maya at this point, and giving Win 8 a spin.
    And for a fleeting second...I was not sure if I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or, a butterfly dreaming I was a man....Lao-tzu

I still have my homebuilt 8080 from April 1977. Still works, too. Amazing what used to fit in 24k if you used raw assembler. By the way, my memory isn't as good as the statement above indicates. We made the trip to the big city for chips and parts the same week that Starwars came out, which was that date as I remember. A nice movie to break up a two hundred mile journey, although gas had just gone up to 45 cents a gallon, which was shocking.

Long since converted from Debian to OSX. It runs my Perl/TK/ and almost all Unix stuff just fine and I love the top notch hardware.

Still have a Debian box that I use on occasion, just to keep my hand in.

Other boards on other topics have also dropped dramatically in traffic. Men's boards (where things like divorce issues are discussed) have mostly dropped out of sight.

In some cases, there are so many blogs which divide the traffic.

Or, men have worked through or solved their problems that they have no need. Or, expatted.

Ditto for Linux. Also, the distros need less work these days. Works on boot is much more common than it was in 1999. A lot of Ubuntu issues that would have ten years ago been on here are now on Ubuntu forums.

And, of course, search engines often bring the answer directly without registering anywhere.

But, LNO was a godsend in those days.

Maybe there should be an old farts forum for the rest of us who drop by once a year.

You can roll by the irc channel in my sig - there's a few old farts in there from time 2 time.
    Need help in realtime? Visit us at #linuxnewbie on irc.libera.chat

Few of us will do as much for our fellow man as he has done.
    --Andrew Morton on RMS