slower speed for wireless than wired.

Thread: slower speed for wireless than wired.

slower speed for wireless than wired.

I have upgraded my internet speed and this has shown up much more than it did at my slower internet. I have 50Mbps and used to have 12Mbps.
    What it is is that my wired speed is about 47Mbps on my desktop but the speed on my wireless laptop is about 10Mbps to 13Mbps and no faster.
    I have tried using different versions of Linux with no change. Still the wireless is slower. The laptop is an HP AMD dual core with 4gigs ram and speed of CPU says 2600.
    Any ideas what I can check or try?
    I will appreciate any hints very much.
    Leo (Bing) Whiteway in Kelowna, BC, Canada: Ham calls: VE7UW and VE7OKV
    A computer without Microsoft is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
    http://www.bclinux.ca/ < running Vector Linux 7 >

Wireless will always be at least a little bit slower than wired by nature of the medium. As for that drastic difference, more information is needed. Do you encrypt your wifi, or is it plain text? What wireless protocol are you using: 802.11g, 802.11n (usually shortened to just the letter: a, b, g, n, ac, etc)? Is it connected to a single router, or does one route have multiple switches/routers to pass through?

General speed limitations of the protocols listed here (skip to "802.11 network standards").
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

The protocol shows as: 802.11n Security shows: TKIP + AES
    the router come modem is a Cisco DPC3825 DOSsis3 Gateway suplied by Shaw Cable.
    I set it to WPA or WPA2-Personal
    I don't know what you mean by "Do you encrypt your wifi"

** Note: I would try making changes in increments to tune your wifi instead of one massive change. **

By encrypt your wifi, I meant do you send your data steam as-is, or is it encrypted. You answered that with "I set it to WPA or WPA2-Personal". Also, listing the router helped. Where I was going is on some very low end hardware, the encryption process can be a bottleneck and make the transfer rate slow down. The router you have will handle it without any problem. Though, check if you can set to WPA2/AES ONLY. WPA/TKIP will not allow your N router to operate at N speeds.

Using the N protocol you should get a max (usually approach but never reach) of 72/150Mbps (20/40MHz). Maybe verify the receiving wifi card is a N card and in your network manager settings verify it is using N. Most nics and routers are at least backwards compatible to G. Also verify link rate 10/54/100/300/1000 Mbps (should be 300 for N, 54 for G).

Are any other wireless devices connected? If so, are they all N? Sometimes legacy mixed with N, makes N slow down ALOT. Look for an option called "Channel Bonding" and disabled it. If there is no effect you can re-enable.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

I have changed it ti WPA 1/2
    There does not appear to be separate option for WPA 2. but it is now testing at alost double what it was and that is 19 to 24. It was before your suggested change at 10 to13.
    The desktop is showing: 32 using speakeasy.net
    I guess that is closer to acceptable is it not ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by leobing View Post
    I guess that is closer to acceptable is it not?
    That is completely subjective, if you are happy I am happy.

You may also consider checking to see if there is a firmware update. I remember awhile back Linksys routers had a weak antenna that had power boosted in subsequent firmware.

If you want to tinker, there is DD-WRT. This installs Linux on your router instead of the firmware. Gives you a bit more control and lets you stay completely open source.

-Mark Twain

I suggest you to use wired internet whenever possible. Wired LANs offer superior performance as compared to wireless. Wireless is not much reliable as wired. Most people use Cat5e Cable For Telephone and Interent as it can serve what you want from it. Cat6 won't make any noticeable difference if distance ib/w modem and device is not more than 100ft.