Hi there!

I just joined. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to get some advice regarding GRUB and a dual Ubuntu / WinXP installation.

I have:
  • ASUS EeePC Netbook
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 250 GB hard disk
  • 16 GB SD card

I want to have the following:

• WinXP installed on the 250 GB hard drive; NTFS (it's already installed)
  • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS installed on the 16GB SD card (flash card); ext (it's already installed)
  • VERY IMPORTANT: I want the GRUB menu to run off of the hard disk, and NOT the SD Card; Or, stated another way, if the SD card is removed or is not present at the time of booting, I still want to see the GRUB menu when booting and be able to boot into Windows off the hard drive.

Please see my boot-repair script here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1154778/

Unfortunately, with that setup, if the SD card is not present at the time of booting, I do not get the GRUB menu, but am taken into the grub rescue> prompt, which I do not want to see.

How can set things up so that: I am always taken to the GRUB menu AND have Ubuntu installed on the SD card AND can choose to remove the SD card prior to boot yet still get to the GRUB menu (to boot into Windows)!

I'm open to any solutions.
If it's necessary to create additional partitions, or use something other than GRUB to achieve this end, then so be it (I have the Linux 'boot-repair-disk')!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dan