Fetch block of text in huge file

Thread: Fetch block of text in huge file

Fetch block of text in huge file

After a server crash all I have now is a large mysqldump-file containing some 500 databases.
    I'm looking for a way to import just a few databases, one by one, on a new server. mysql itself can't do this, it's "all or nothing".
    So I'm trying to grep / sed / awk / whatever a block from mysqldump.sql to a new file. Having tried a lot with no success, I now turn to you, the community
    (I know I can import everything to mysql on some other server, then pull out the databases needed and use those dumps on production server, but A) it's not efficient and B) this thing happens now and then so it would be nice to find the perfect solution.)

So, in a file I want to catch everything between
    CREATE DATABASE /*!32312 IF NOT EXISTS*/ $1
    and the next
    CREATE DATABASE

Any ideas?
    In pingvino veritas!

... after having spent so many hours, and finally asking for help...
    I read my own question, and finally realized the real problem - which was not catching a block of text but interpreting those " /*! " correctly.
    So I simply search for everything between
    <database_name>
    and
    "CREATE DATABASE"

Problem solved, thanks for listening!

Oh, and just in case someone is interrested, complete command:
    sed -n /$db_name/,/CREATE\ DATABASE/p mysql_030812.sql > db_name.sql
    In pingvino veritas!

Nice one X !

Linux is for those who can think and reason it out.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"

Thanks saikee!

Often when I'm stuck with a problem I find that formulating a question actually gives me the answer or at least point me in the right direction.
    This is because then I have to think things through clearly, describing problem and actions exactly and in detail often reveals "mind mistakes".

As for my solution, I have to add it wasn't quite correct. Since I have given a false solution I'm now adding a correct one.
    The database name exists in other places too, so I actually needed to find how to search for pattern "IF NOT EXISTS*/ `db_name`"
    The '`' surrounding the databasename was the worst problem. Putting the whole sed command in quotes did the trick - escaping it did not help:
    sed -n "/EXISTS\*\/\ \`db_name/,/CREATE\ DATABASE/p" mysql_090812.sql > db_name_090812.sql
    In pingvino veritas!