hacked email?

Thread: hacked email?

Question hacked email?

Friends--

This is not strictly Linux, but I don't know where else to post this question, and I know several of you are knowledgeable about such matters.

Every once in a while I have been getting emails that have a recognizable name in the from line. Usually they are not my friend's email address. (For instance, their usual address is comcast.net and this one comes from noname.tv.)

Today I got one that is from the person's real email address and there is to: (not sure how I even got a copy, unless as a bcc) naming someone else who is someone I know, with their correct email address. I am pretty sure these two people do not know each other.

The entire text of the email reads: "wow this is pretty crazy you should look into it http://www.local9newsia.net/work/?alert=25026"

Googling this local9 etc seems to be a current hacker out there, but nobody is reporting on it.

So I am wondering if I have been hacked? I do not store my address book anyplace online. I use Thunderbird 15.0.1, CompuServe imap for incoming mail, Comcast smtp for outgoing.

How can I check this out?

Thanks!
    :-Doug.

IMHO there's no point in researching this.
    You can easily set any sender you want in "from" field, I think you're just spammed that's all.
    In pingvino veritas!

x--

Thanks!

Yet it seems a coincidence strange that it is from and to legit correspondents of mine you probably do not know one another.

Thanks!
    :-Doug.