Newbie attempting to use system rescue cd

Thread: Newbie attempting to use system rescue cd

Newbie attempting to use system rescue cd

Hi there. I recently bought system rescue cd to fix a missing %hs file in my friends laptop. But it seems to be way out of my depth. I did do a short course on Debian but i had struggled through it and dont think i grasped the concept of how Linux works. I am planning to use the cd to get a better grasp of linux but still sitting with her laptop and had it a while now. Basically, what im asking is does anyone have an idiot proof guide for this disk, to either fix the o/s error or to recover data when i have no idea about what the files are called or how many there are to move, (she doesn't even know) i just know the most important things on it are her pictures and some novels and other paperwork she did but has not backed up.

I suggest grabbing a "better" (more user friendly?) distro like fedora or ubuntu.

You can run off the CD and it will most likely put icons right on the desktop for the hard drive in the machine.

If the drive itself is fine (but Windows is broken), you'll be able to just browse around what you refer to as the C: drive and find her files and copy them off to a USB or network share.

If you have to get into repairing damaged files because of a failing disk, that's a bigger issue.

Linux cannot correct MS Windows errors because it does not run any of its programs.

What Linux does best is to read the files and write them on any device the PC owner has. Linux will mount every NTFS partition automatically (or made to mount it manually) and make it available to the user. Linux system Rescue CD is a tool to be best applied in a terminal. If you want an easy life download an Linux iso like Ubuntu, or Mint, or Fedora, as happybunny suggested, from places like Distrowatch.com, burn it into a bootable CD or DVD, run the Linux as a Live CD (same as System Rescue CD, except you will be given a graphic desktop). Since you can to see the contents in different devices (a hard disk partition or a USB flash drive or an ternal hard disk partition is a device in Linux) you can then drag the folders to whatever device you wish to save.

All documents, photos, music and videos can also be play, read and written with a Linux. Thus you can see what you are saving.

If the information is important you should clone the hard disk and savage the data using the cloned drive while the original is a back up. You can do all these in any Linux.
    Linux user started Jun 2004 - No. 361921
    Using a Linux live CD to clone XP
    To install Linux and keep Windows MBR untouched
    Adding extra Linux & Doing it in a lazy way
    A Grub menu booting 100+ systems & A "Howto" to install and boot 145 systems
    Just cloning tips Just booting tips A collection of booting tips

Judge asked Linux "You are being charged murdering Windoze by stabbing its heart with a weapon, what was it?" Replied Linux "A Live CD"