Win XP Replacement

Thread: Win XP Replacement

Win XP Replacement

Hey guys I have a question concerning replacing Window XP with a Linux distro. I rebuilt my XP box the other day and it just doesn't run like it use to and I don't want to spend the time fine tuning it again so I'm thinking it's time to get rid of XP, since support will be ending soon, and replace it with Linux. I just use it mainly to watch videos (TV).

Any suggestions on the best and easiest to install distro to use? I was thinking about Mint??

Thanks in Advance

Mint is good, also Fedora.

To me the biggest hurdle is the "Desktop Environment" (DE), gnome vs unity vs kde, etc.

New versions of gnome (the default for fedora) and unity (the default for ubuntu) are as radical departures from XP as Windows 8 is from XP.

If you want to switch to Linux the easiest way, find a DE similar to XP so the transition isn't so dramatic.

So, pick Mint or Ubuntu or Fedora that by default come with a common interface like Cinnamon, MATE, or XFCE (my favorite).

Unlike Windows which doesn't give you an option of which DE to use, Linux variants (or distro's) all offer several options even though the underlying OS is basically the same between the different kinds.

As Fedora is my current preference, see http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora#desktops for reference. Each "SPIN" is still fedora, but each one comes with a different DE.

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny View Post
    Mint is good, also Fedora.

To me the biggest hurdle is the "Desktop Environment" (DE), gnome vs unity vs kde, etc.

New versions of gnome (the default for fedora) and unity (the default for ubuntu) are as radical departures from XP as Windows 8 is from XP.

If you want to switch to Linux the easiest way, find a DE similar to XP so the transition isn't so dramatic.

So, pick Mint or Ubuntu or Fedora that by default come with a common interface like Cinnamon, MATE, or XFCE (my favorite).

Unlike Windows which doesn't give you an option of which DE to use, Linux variants (or distro's) all offer several options even though the underlying OS is basically the same between the different kinds.

As Fedora is my current preference, see http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora#desktops for reference. Each "SPIN" is still fedora, but each one comes with a different DE.
    Thanks for the info. I prefer to go with a Debian release because I have experience with it and like it. Yes, the DE has always been an issue that I have not understood because of time constraints and lack of use. I was thinking the Cinnamon interface would be interesting to try just because it is new to me.

Thanks again, I will use this to help me decide on a distro in my search.