I live in a small mountain village in Mexico. My Telmex Internet service is actually faster than Earthlink.net back in texas.

But, most folks cannot afford Internet. So a substantial number of young people from my neighborhood sit on my retaining wall with their wi-fi telephones and use my wireless service. One young lad told me that Android has a key sniffing program, so I can't keep them out without shutting off the wireless completely.

I actually don't care about the usage. But I do care if they are connecting to something which brings the law enforcement down on me. Use your imagination...

I love the Mexican people, and I love my neighbors. If they are clean, I do not care if they use it all the time. They will get a job and save for a wi-fi telephone, but can't pay the $30 a month for Internet, or in some cases phone service to their house is simply not available.

So, I was wondering if I can sniff my own wireless modem. It is an Echolife HG 520b, owned by Telmex.

I have used a sniffer before. Back in the early days of this century. IBM.net support folks wrote documentation so bad for Linux I finally had to sniff windows to find out which of the many asterisks and brackets and parenthesis in their examples actually mattered when I tried to connect. (Answer -- none of them actually)

I used Ethereal, but my apt-get message says it has been replaced by wireshark.

At this time, I don't need a detailed help. A summary can get me started.

If that is it is possible to sniff my own wireless modem from my laptop which sets next to the modem.

Any thoughts? I hit a lot of Google links, and there was a lot of stuff, but nothing seemed to address my specific problem.