IDE Hard Drive Recommendations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDE Hard Drive Recommendations

IDE Hard Drive Recommendations

Ok, so I made the mistake of getting an IBM Deskstar drive for my computer last fall. It's now showing the signs of kicking the proverbial bit bucket, and I'm going to replace it as soon as I get a paycheck from my summer job. Question is, what should I replace it with?
    Criteria as follows:
    ATA-100 compat (I don't see this being a problem)
    40 GB + capacity
    7200 RPM
    ~9.8 ms seek time

The drives I've looked at so far are the Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM drives, 40 and 60 GB capacity. My budget for this is < $160, so let the recommendations begin!
    Pythonista in training
    HelicalCynic
    Bryan Bates

Can you not get the Deskstar replaced under warranty?

Western Digital
    Seagate
    Quantum (though they've been sold)

Any of their 40-60 GB ATA100 drives should be fine.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

Have a look at Seagate (Barracuda IV). One of the most quiet disks out there I've heard, and a couple of those 80-Gigs are on my wish-list
    Linux User #181509

* It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on this planet
    has ever come up with the phrase "as pretty as an airport" *
    -- Douglas Adams --

I probably *could* get it replaced under warranty, but I don't want to replace a faulty Deskstar with another faulty Deskstar. I've been hearing way too much about how these drives are dropping like flies.
    Pythonista in training
    HelicalCynic
    Bryan Bates

My personal preference is Quantum. I've never had a Quantum crap out on me. My second choice would be a Maxtor. Although Quantum hard drive division has been bought by Maxtor I believe the quality hasn't changed, still the same great quality. Last fall I bought a 40GB Fujitsu (reluctantly) and so far no problems with it. Last week I bought a Maxtor 20 GB. Another personal preference is noisy drives, I love the sound of drives, which is one of the reasons I loved Quantums . I like knowing that the drive is there. I'd be a little nervous about Seagates. A few years ago they did make excellent drives but the quality seemed to drop on them after the 2GB barrier..don't know why. Western Digital I would be really nervous about buying. BTW I'm really surprised that IBM's are so crappy, I would have never thought different. As far as your drive you won't get your money back on it and it's under warranty so I would get another and give it a whirl maybe you just happen to get a lemon.
    Well there's my $0.25!!
    "System requirements on the package said 'Win '95 or better' so I went home and installed Linux!" : P

I recently bought a Maxtor 5400RPM 80GB drive for $139. I think they had 7200's for about $150. It's cutting it close to the budget you said, but I say you should buy as much as you can afford...

Just wait until I can afford the Maxtor 160GB drive
    Registered Linux user #230403! Since March 2001! YAY.

Try doing a forum search or a google search before asking a question. And please don't use HELP! in the topic of your post... it's so lame... Please don't PM me for help-- post a question in the forum instead.

Yeah, the higher end desktars are known for their short life expectancy. Although I would say I would just call customer service and get a replacement drive. IBM was aware of this problem, and I think I read they figured out what was causing it and have fixed it in newer drives.
    Otherwise, I have used Maxtor, Western Digital, Fujitsu, and Seagate. Seagates were my favorites, followed by the maxtors, then the western digitals. There was nothing wrong with the fujitsu, it just never seemed to perform like it should have.
    Timothy L. Miller
    "Treachery will get you everything."
    "Lady luck is a hooker, and I'm out of cash."
    Comp. #1- Soyo KT400 Platinum/Athlon XP 2700+/1 GB Nanya PC2700 DDR(CAS2)/80 GB ATA133(7200 rpm) + 2x40 GB ATA100 RAID(7200 rpm)/128 MB Radeon 9700/Soundblaster Audigy
    Comp. #2- MSI KT3 Ultra 2/Athlon XP 2400+/512 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR(CAS2)/2x20 GB ATA100(7200 rpm), 20 GB ATA100(5400 rpm)/128 MB GeForce4 TI4400/Soundblaster Live!
    Comp#3- ECS Elitegroup K7S5A(Onboard sound)/Athlon XP 1800+/512 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR(CAS2.5)/60 GB ATA100(5400 rpm)/128 MB Radeon 9000
    Comp #4- Compaq Armade E500 Notebook Pentium 3M 700 MHz/512 MB SDRAM/12 GB(4200 rpm)/8 MB ATI Rage Pro Lite/15" LCD
    Comp #5- KDS Valiant 6370i Notebook Pentium 3M 700 MHz/256 MB SDRAM/10 GB(4200 rpm)/0 MB (4 integrated) Trident Cyberblade/13.3" LCD
    Comp #6- Gateway Solo 2100 Notebook Pentium 120 MHz/32 MHz EDO RAM/6 GB(4200 rpm)/1 MB Cirrus 7548/11.3" TFT

If you look hard enough you can get a 80GB Seagate Barracuda IV for $95. Maybe less now, I bought mine 6-8 months ago. I also have two 46GB and one 30GB Maxtor DiamondMax 60's which I bought for $140 each a year ago. On my system the Seagate has higher results from hdparm -tT than the Maxtors.

[ 19 April 2002: Message edited by: The Whizzard ]

Seagate. Their SCSI line is better than their IDE, but they rock nonetheless. The Barracuda IDE series is excellent.

Look into maxtor if noise is a concern. Although the Seagate drives are very quiet, Maxtor drives are pretty much dead silent (the reason they bought up Quantum).

I've just taken a IBM 40GB 60GXP back for replacement but the only problem it was a replacement drive itself.

They seem to be averaging about 4 months before they go click, click, cark.

I think I'll try to get the shop to swap it for anything other than an IBM drive.

[ 20 April 2002: Message edited by: chrisB1 ]
    "Don't take life so seriously... nobody gets out alive anyway"

Heh. That's the same drive I've got, only mine's lasted almost 9 months. However, about 4 months ago I had to go get the IBM disk diagnostic tools and do a low-level format to make it usable. Should've returned it then, but I needed the computer and didn't have the money for a replacement drive.
    Pythonista in training
    HelicalCynic
    Bryan Bates

Well, looks like my two 30Gig IBM-DTLA-307030 Deskstars may belong to a good batch? They have been running smooth for over 2 years now (running my box 24/7).

Cheers
    Linux User #181509

* It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on this planet
    has ever come up with the phrase "as pretty as an airport" *
    -- Douglas Adams --

I'm currently waiting on my replacement IBM 60GXP 40GB it lasted almost 3 months. I would recommend either seagate or maxtor, wichever you can find the best deal on.

I always buy Seagate drives, although there has been much buzz about the WD 120GB drive. I suggest that if you buy a 7200RPM drive, you make sure your drive is properly cooled.

in a test of old hard drives, the only ones that worked were quantum, seagate, and maxtor.
    (no western digital no no no ibm)
    "we plan to go to the moon not because it will be easy, but because it will be hard."----John f.kennedy