Compiler error

Thread: Compiler error

Compiler error

Hello,
    I am a newb to linux so please forgive my ignorance.

I installed Redhat 6.2 on a 486 laptop (with base station) with only 16 MB of RAM over a network, which was quite a pain in the butt (but I probably learned more that way). I had to use 6.2 b/c 7.2 wouldn't work with only 16 MB. I did an up2date and I am using Kernel version 2.2.19-6.2.16. My swap space is 32 MB. If you need to know anything else, just ask.

My problem is a compiler error. I am trying to compile gcc-3.1 with egcs. I did the configure thing to get the make file for an i486. When I did make, it compiled for quite a while, and then it gave me the following error:

"ccplus1: cannot allocate XXXX bytes after allocating XXXX bytes
    make[2]: *** [verify .lo] Error 1"

Then it leaves all the directories that it was compiling, it appears that the last directory it was in was /libjava.

Thanks for any help!

It sounds like there isnt enough memory.. I am guessing though..

Does the XXXX number in the line "after XXXX bytes" correspond to or is it close to the amount of memory you have (16MB)?? Or 16777216 bytes

It sounds a bit odd that c++ would need more than 16MB to compile though.. maybe

If you have enough spare disk space you may want to create an additional swap partition of 64-128 MB to help out your present total of only 48MB. (16RAM+32SWAP)
    We'll get thisright yet!

Yeah, its sounds like you ran out of disk space.
    If I remember correctly, I think that gcc has an option to compile cleanly i.e. cleaning up .o files as it goes along. I could be completely wrong though. You might want to take a look though.
    Why don't you just rpm gcc? It would be a LOT easier..

//ZhEN
    Hi, my name is Zhen, and I have a karma problem.

Definately I lack of memory...But i know that's what have a dozen other people said (:

Thanks for all your help! I tried compiling it with the clean as you go, but it still died on me. This time it was much smaller though. I also unloaded most everything. Still nothing. Where does it store its temp files when compiling? in the /tmp directory? That drive only has 300 MB and linux is using about 280 of that.

Error allocating 12 bytes after allocating XXXXXXXX bytes

Arrgh! 12 bytes!

Anyway, I guess the question now is, how do I move my /tmp to a hdd on the base station without breaking anything when it isn't docked? And how do I create a swap partition there as well without breaking anything?

Thanks again!

You could try creating a temporary swap file instead of swap partition.

Have a look at the Fly Swapping NHF.
    SEARCH FIRST... ASK SECOND Read the JL 'Community Help Posting Guidelines' before posting in the forums.

Precompiled Redhat NTFS Modules

Linuxplanet Tutorials

If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem. ... Please do not send me a PM asking for help...

Please read the search suggestion thread in JL Ideas

Thanks mdwatts. That is exactly what I'm looking for.

BTW, nice avatar.