Debian Woody - Cut the fat!

Thread: Debian Woody - Cut the fat!

Cool Debian Woody - Cut the fat!

After using Debian potato for a year via telnet and samba from a Windows machine
    for university programming assignments and a bit of Palm development I decided
    to try Woody and KDE.

First install produced a fairly unstable system so I stripped it all off and
    tried again. This time I went for the 2.4 kernel and installed the base system
    only without using tasksel or dselect.

With the base system running I then installed x-window-system and kde with
    apt-get(Gotta love that tool). Then installed kdm(looks better than xdm) and
    kmix for my sound blaster live.

Ended up with a clean, fast system ready to be tweaked. Next up is a custom
    kernel and the nvidia openGL drivers for my Geforce2 MX.

KDE is an excellent desktop which makes me a bit sorry I forked out the big
    bucks for WinXP Pro. KDevelop looks neat for coding and Qt seems like an easy
    api to pick up for anyone with MFC or WTL/ATL experience.

I am happy to have found linuxnewbie which is a great resource.

sambo

I never use tasksel anymore, it just installs too many packages I never use. It reminds me of the way redhat worked. The problem with redhat is it always seemed to install whatever it wanted regardless of what I selected. (Redhat 5)

Debian
    Marge: Well I think we should spend the money on something the whole town can be proud of.

Homer: Like a giant billboard that says "No Fat Chicks"?

The Simpsons - 9F10 - S04E12
    Marge vs. the Monorail

dselect is still nice if you search for a package but don't remember the exact name. Just do a string search.
    Long live apt-get!
    Last edited by chris_i386; 08-30-2002 at 03:19 PM.
    KNOPPIX is good for you!
    Die Zukunft spricht Linux!
    Registered User #265,362

Cool

Yeah I have tried Redhat in the past. I didn't like the fact it installed 5 or 6 different window managers by default. What do most people need with that many window managers???

Several people have mentioned they don't use dselect or tasksel. I'm pretty happy using apt-get. If I need to look for a package I use KDE's package manager or the package list at Debian's web site.

m-sambo

Dun'kalis Guest
    I've never used tasksel. When I first tried Debian (I left it because I knew absolutely nothing about Linux), I tried it, and it failed to download. Just do an apt-get install x-window-system, and run twm until you get a bunch of apps installed.