learning linux

Thread: learning linux

learning linux

i know nothing about linux right now, but i want to learn how to use it instead of windows. anyone know a good starting point, like where i can find the most current verson and how to make it work.

thanks

The best way to really learn Linux (to me) is to go get a good book that will step you through things like installation and setting up accounts and installing software. Or if you know someone who's good at it, then that would be a great help as well. Perhaps there's a LUG (Linux User Group) in your area that could help set you up with software, maybe even install it for you and show you a thing or two.
    We love Sensei!!
    A 1:1 ratio of Arby's sauce to Horsey sauce must be maintained.
    Like Linux? Want to like it more? Try Debian
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
    Geekology

Kinslayer: I hired a technician to install Mandrake 7.1. He launched me in X as I had no Windows experience (came directly from DOS). We have become good friends and correspond frequently by e-mail as we live in different cities. He's been very helpful in answering my many questions and now I am reading books and tutorials from other Linux sites to learn the command-line. It does help to have a friend to help you - keeps the frustration level lower! If there is a LUG nearby, lucky you. I've been trying to start one here but no success yet. Knowing what Linux projects others are doing is also inspiring as there is no end to what can be done using Linux. Good luck on your Linux journey!
    open mind, open source, open cars

Registered Linux User 299372 http://counter.li.org

The best way is as stated bfore her to get a book about it.

It' also a good idea to buy a box-set of the first distro. Then you will get the book that follows that too.

The book I'd choose is O'Reily's "Running Linux". You can find it at Amazon, URL:
    href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/156592469X/qid=995527275/sr=2-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/102-1488645-3845739

Good luck and welcome!

</nalle>

[ 19 July 2001: Message edited by: Nalle ]
    _ _ _ _ _ _____________ _ _ _ _ _
    ...and peace and prosperity for you all.
    _ _ _ _ _ _____________ _ _ _ _ _

Thanks for your help guys! One question though, how can i find out if there is a LUG in my area?

I should look into that one day in my area. I may learn something.

Any free computer publications in your area? Do you know of any other LUG's elsewhere you could contact (via email) to ask?

Websearch? i.e. LUG yourcity

the first thing is to find a Linux User Group (LUG) in your area. If you ever get stuck the best things is to have someone there that can help you. The next thing is if you ahve an internet connection go to www.linux.org and visit linux 101. It is a free online class that will teach you the basics of linux. After that try and crash the machine and make a cool recovery. That always makes you feel better about yourself and give you the courage to continue with the hard road ahead. But most of all find that LUG and go as frequently as they meet.
    On the Third Day, GOD gave Adam and Eve Linux.

Mandrake Campus

This has some great learning tools, and even runs you through using vi. You have to register, but it's free.
    Just Another Linux User
    Registered Linux User #204980 http://counter.li.org

Keep it up man, and I will tear you a bigger "forbidding hole"!

As for a starting point: buy a newer book that teaches you the basics and comes bundled with a specific distribution of linux. That will help you get a nice boost. Also search online for anything that you might be having specific problems with.

As for LUGs, I guarantee almost any local University/College will have one. Search their website (if they have one).

Good luck!

(I was in your shoes only a few months ago =P ... kinda still am, hehe)
    McManus
    usrg@mail.utexas.edu

Registered Linux user # 267375 @ counter.li.org

Kinslayer,

To find LUGs in your area, try this site. It's a worldwide list of lugs, with links to other similar sites. As Nalle said earlier, get a copy of O'Reilly's "Running Linux" (by Matt Welsh). I've also found "Unix Power Tools", also by O'Reilly, to be a great reference.

Welcome to Linux

Kinslayer-

I am also a newbie, and really don't know all that much about linux. I did however download Mandrake 8.0, and had no problems installing it. Get the ISO files, burn them to disc, and install. The Mandrake distro makes it very easy to do the install, it does it all for you - partition and all. If you can use windows, it will be a breeze. I had no problems making my machine a dual-boot system. Mandrake 8.0 is fairly easy to use, everything is graphical. I installed and setup quite a few programs without having to use the terminal. The control center lets you change your hardware settings and boot-up... whatever you want to do.
    If you can work in windows, you can use 8.0. I still haven't ran the first command, and have a ton of software installed, and a cool desktop. Might want to give it a try. It's been a great way for me to get started.