Fluxbox and Blackbox error

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluxbox and Blackbox error

Solved: Fluxbox and Blackbox error

I have installed both by the instructions (./configuration, make, make install). But whenever I try to run it (fluxbox or blackbox at command line) I get:

BaseDisplay::BaseDisplay: connection to X server failed

Its obvious what it means... But what could be causing this? GNOME has no problems at all and both blackbox and fluxbox say the exact same thing. Any of you have any ideas what it might be?
    Last edited by Vlad902; 11-07-2002 at 12:32 AM.

are your typing that outside of X? If so, edit your ~/.xinitrc file so that it just contains exec fluxbox in it, then startx

Yeah, what he said

Fluxbox is the window manager, so it needs X to run. Starting fluxbox from the command line doesnt start X, hence your problem. You need to start X, then run fluxbox when X has finished loading.

Also, make sure that ~/.xinitrc is executable (chmod +x ~/.xinitrc) and that fluxbox is the last line. It'll still work, but if you have 'other' startup items, they wont load.

TTFN,
    Scrapz
    Current screenshot: Gentoo + Fluxbox
    --
    "Besides, the Emporer wasn't simply at deaths' door but well inside the hallway, admiring the carpet and commenting on the hatstand." - Terry Pratchett, The Rincewind Trilogy
    --
    Hmmm... penguin. The other OTHER white meat!
    --
    4 out of 5 voices in my head tell me I'm not crazy.

The ~/.xinitrc doesn't need to be executable...well mine isn't and it works fine

Oh, well ok then... but it pays to make sure
    Current screenshot: Gentoo + Fluxbox
    --
    "Besides, the Emporer wasn't simply at deaths' door but well inside the hallway, admiring the carpet and commenting on the hatstand." - Terry Pratchett, The Rincewind Trilogy
    --
    Hmmm... penguin. The other OTHER white meat!
    --
    4 out of 5 voices in my head tell me I'm not crazy.

I had exactly the same problem

...and I stumbled across this: http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~rhch424/myLinuxTips.html

I followed the steps in that document and now it works fine.

(Now I just need to figure out how to use it!)

Cheers,
    Tim

Yup, worked excenlent!

Files/directories only need to be executable if (for files) they are binaries that need to be run, or (for directories) you need to be able to set them as your current directory. .xinitrc files are in plain text and are simply read, so it shouldn't matter.
    Abusing Linux since September 2002.

Registered Linux User# 293832 http://counter.li.org

Er... Have another question. I noticed in alot of Fluxbox and Blackbox screenshots that there was a cool thing at the top right of top left or somewhere of your screen that had cool things on it. Like CPU usage, RAM usage, menus, etc. Could anyone post me a link or tell me how to get one of them, make one of them, something. Thanks

PS. I am uninstalled black box and am running flux. Not that it matters, they are bassicly the same.
    Last edited by Vlad902; 11-07-2002 at 03:03 AM.

I believe you're referring to dock (I think it's called the slit in Flux and Black) apps. One of the most popular is gkrellm. It's the one that does all the monitoring and stuff. I don't have a link, but searching for gkrellm (I guess there is also gkrellm2 out now) should do the trick - it's a pretty specific name.
    Abusing Linux since September 2002.

Registered Linux User# 293832 http://counter.li.org

gkrellm only works under GTK . Do you know of any others?
    Hug a geek, save a life...

search google! I came up with a ton of results......pick up you lazy @$$ and search google..........

??? I have... And if you have so many results why did you start a new thread just about this? Now please, stop trolling...

Please dont abuse people in these forums. they are meant for love.......not hate

???Then please do not use abuse absene words. Do not lie. Do not try to bring down. And stop trolling... You are the agressor...

search google! I came up with a ton of results......pick up you lazy @$$ and search google..........