Where to Find SuSe??

Thread: Where to Find SuSe??

Where to Find SuSe??

Im trying to find a ISO of the latest SuSe distro, but havent come across any luck so far. Ive check LinuxISO.org and all they have is a live evaluation version. Does anyone have an idea where to get a Full SuSe Distro??

it'll cost ya a few dollars but you can order cds from tuxcds.com. that's the only way i know of that you could get a full suse distro. it's a lot cheaper than buying boxed distros tho.
    Have you ever thought that while you're killing time, time is returning the favor?

It looks like you can download it here
    I am not sure that it is the distribution or not, it sounds like it though.
    Last edited by adhall02; 11-07-2002 at 12:10 AM.

This is SuSe 8.0 but you might want to keep your eye on this site . As far as I know its the ONLY place ive found to download SuSe ISO's.

http://www.linuxcd.org/view_item.php?id_version=130
    Some things just make sense , and when they dont , theres always a hammer .

Re: Where to Find SuSe??

Originally posted by scapegoat
    Im trying to find a ISO of the latest SuSe distro, but havent come across any luck so far. Ive check LinuxISO.org and all they have is a live evaluation version. Does anyone have an idea where to get a Full SuSe Distro??
    You can do an ftp install from this link http://www.suse.de/us/private/downlo...nux/index.html

I would only do this if you have a fast internet connection. if you are stuck with a slow net connection I would try to geta copy on CD but if you have a brodband connection you should be set

Some of my favorite links

search engine's
    G4L & JL forum search
    one of the best Debian based distro's for new hardware
    registered Linux user # 288225

Thanks!!! Thats what ive been looking for

You are welcome . Somebody else on here showed me . They throttle your downloads though . Ive never downloaded at more than 57kbp/s from them .

I emailed suse about this very thing a few days ago. They are moving away from doing iso releases so that people will buy the boxed products. The FTP install is there for network admins mainly if I understand it all correctly. So much for free and easy :/

Here is the reply I got..

I'm afraid we don't offer .iso images of the distribution for Intel:
    please see ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/README.iso-images.english for a statement of our policy on this.

Originally posted by xBaboon
    I emailed suse about this very thing a few days ago. They are moving away from doing iso releases so that people will buy the boxed products. The FTP install is there for network admins mainly if I understand it all correctly. So much for free and easy :/

Here is the reply I got..

I'm afraid we don't offer .iso images of the distribution for Intel:
    please see ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/README.iso-images.english for a statement of our policy on this.
    Oh well .
    As long as we are allowed to redistribute the Distro free of charge , SOMEBODY is going to make copies of the CDs available for download . I think SuSe's thinking is shortsighted . Ive purchased 2 copies of Mandrake and 1 copy of RedHat retail and both of them offer free downloads of all their releases . Ive never purchased SuSe , not for any reason really , but the fact you cant try before you buy is a big turnoff in the Linux community IMO .

Couldn't agree more, that's why I now have a shiny new installation of Mandrake 9 on

Lightbulb

okay, this may be a given, but i know i have seen suse 8.1 professional at BEST BUY for $80'ish.

from what i have heard and experienced, downloading linux online is not real easy. sometimes i think it is worth the money to buy an off the shelf distro for a few reasons: you are helping to support the company (this economy needs it), you get tech support and other little bennies with it, and you don't have to go through the hassle of trying to find a good site online to try to download it from - you have original cd's and full documentation at your fingertips already.

i hope this helps. adios.....
    enjoying another wonderful day of opportunity?

I purchased 8.0 at CompUSA, and its been my fave so far. (Ease of install, detecting hardware, YaST). I guess this sums it up tho'
    In order to be able to maintain this service in the future, as well as meeting the accompanying wishes of our customers, we are dependent on sales of our products and services, and must ensure that an adequate cost structure exists within our company.
    They really want to sell it to you, and so don't make it easy to D/L. They are better than Lindows, but if they get any worse, I may have to change my avatar and use a new distro... If I am going to use Linux, my distro has to stay true to the spirit of the GPL.
    Biscuits and Jam for all.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity'': Hanlon's Razor

Originally posted by Penrich
    I purchased 8.0 at CompUSA, and its been my fave so far. (Ease of install, detecting hardware, YaST). I guess this sums it up tho'

They really want to sell it to you, and so don't make it easy to D/L. They are better than Lindows, but if they get any worse, I may have to change my avatar and use a new distro... If I am going to use Linux, my distro has to stay true to the spirit of the GPL.
    I downloaded SuSe8.0 and all I can say is im glad I didnt pay for it . 8.1 might work out better but I want to try it first .
    SuSe didnt offer anything that I hadnt seen before . YAST was ok but ive not had a problem with any of the other distros .
    Im not real sure how it all pans out but SuSe is part of UnitedLinux now anyways so , unless im wrong, there probably wont be too many more "stand alone" SuSe releases .

I d/l and tried openlinux workstation 3.1.1 (no games - what good was that? - Sorry mdwatts, plus lizard hung on me a few times) plus a couple of redhats, never finished DL of MDK, Debian was OK, but I never got my eth0 configured after a re-install, so that went...SuSE so far just installed better on my old hardware, and is running fine. I have discs of Slack and Gentoo i want to try, and I guess I'll give RH 8 and MDK 9 a go... maybe? Thats all. For now...
    Biscuits and Jam for all.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity'': Hanlon's Razor