lvm question... cannot mount

Thread: lvm question... cannot mount

Plz. help, lvm question...

Hi , hopefully someone can help.

I had a disk that was on a suse 7.3 machine, it had several volumes unders a vg named system, the dev files were /dev/system/www, /dev/system/home and so forth.

That machine took a major dive.

I put the drive into a RedHat 9 system. The lvm on the machine recognizes the volume fine., correct sizes, etc.

I am having a hell of a time mounting them though

I ran vgmakenode and it created the /dev/system tree for me, but when I try and mount

mount /dev/system/www /suse/www

I get this error:

/dev/system/www is not a valid block device...

Anyone know what I need to do to get this to work? the volumes were not stiped or anything, all of it was on this one drive.
    JC

Does the RedHat kernel have support for LVM built-in? If not, you'll need to load the relevant modules (and I don't know what they are...) or first build, then load the relevant modules.

Just because you have a device node set up somewhere under /dev doesn't mean the kernel knows how to service requests on that device node. The error you're getting, in fact, indicates that it most likely doesn't.

Yeah, lvm support has been in RH out of the box since 8.

What I forgot to do was run the vgchange command to enable the volumes again, i guess they were put in a degraded state when I moved the drive to the new PC running RH.

I am up and running with zero issues now..lvm is sweet.
    JC

Yes, it is, and have you noticed, it is no longer necessary to do a vgexport and vgimport? I do wonder how they got around that?
    ray@raymondjones.net
    HTTP://www.raymondjones.net