New Linux Distribution - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Linux Distribution

You wouldn't happen to be THE Thomas Chung of @penWebmail fame by any chance?
    Registered Linux User #324436
    Registered Linux Box #209059

One by one, the Penguins are taking my sanity...

Originally posted by Nivuahc
    You wouldn't happen to be THE Thomas Chung of @penWebmail fame by any chance?
    Yes, that's other group project I'm involved with.

Thomas

I'm a huge fan of Openwebmail.... I'll have to give your distro a look.
    Registered Linux User #324436
    Registered Linux Box #209059

One by one, the Penguins are taking my sanity...

I've read through this thread just because I found it interesting that everyone wondered about the GPL.

The safest play would be to include the source code, but it would not be an absolute necessity, since the distribution is actually a third party distribution, in which case you are telling everyone that it is Red Hat 8, and where they can get the sources from. The problem is one of time tables, Red Hat is only required to supply for 3 years, at which point your distribution would have to stop, because you would no longer be able to supply the source.

The real legal issue is if you have the permission to repackage Red Hat 8, and distribute it as your own work. whether it be for profit or non-profit, there can be some copyright issues involved, but that would have to be researched. It would depend upon whether any of the red hat programming is not open source.

Good Luck, I hope your distribution gains ground in showing the need for a distribution geared totally to the non-geek desktop user.

I made a distro, and I didn't have the bandwidth to distribute it, so I put it on BitTorrent. If you really are distributing on CD-ROM because of a lack of bandwidth rather than a profit-motive, you should try that.