Quiting frozen apps

Thread: Quiting frozen apps

Quiting frozen apps

I'm new to linux and have been using it for a week now. I was wondering if there was a key combination to get rid of frozen apps. For example, Windows has Ctrl + Alt + Del. I tried that in Linux but that just offered to log me out. Is there any key combination in Linux like that?? I'm using Mandrake 9.0. Thanks for the help!

Open a terminal and type the following (suppose the text editer nedit froze (yeah right))...

killall nedit

If that doesn't work, try

killall -9 nedit

Only the owner of the process (or root of course) can kill the application. To see the currently running apps, type

You can also use the "ps" command, for example... to see if nedit is running

ps -aux | grep nedit

Hope this helps.
    I have gone looking for myself,
    if I return before I get back,
    keep me here.

The easiest way would be to type xkill into a terminal, hit enter and then left-click on the frozen app.

The traditional way is to use kill
    Type kill 123 to kill the process with the PID (number) 123. To get a list of all processes together with their pid's type ps -e
    KNOPPIX is good for you!
    Die Zukunft spricht Linux!
    Registered User #265,362

app- ctrl+q (in kde)

term- ctrl+c (to stop), ctrl+d (to exit), these are if you run bash (most people do)
    my brain says that i'm an old man. my heart says that i'm a kid. i think i'll follow my heart.

do you follow the IPU?

In KDE, you can also hold down CTRL+ALT+ESC and click on the title bar of the application to kill it. The cool part: when you press the key combination, your cursor turns into a skull and crossbones.

If the keyboard and/or mouse are frozen in the app but the mouse will open an x-term, type shutdown -h now or shutdown -r now [the equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Del in Windows which will also work in Linux] [to reboot] at the prompt. That usually gets rid of the hanging app. If not, one of the kill suggestions will surely work.

If both keyboard and mouse are frozen so that you can't open an x-term, you will have no alternative but to hit the reset button. This is a method of last resort; try the others first.

Recently, I've been experiencing freeze-ups on StarOffice [mega] and Netscape [not so mega] and have tried most of the tips noted above at one time or another plus a few that aren't mentioned.
    Last edited by cybergal; 01-14-2003 at 12:08 AM.
    open mind, open source, open cars

Registered Linux User 299372 http://counter.li.org

You can also use Ctrl + Alt + (F1-F6) to get to another terminal... log in as root and reboot.
    What if the Earth were just a sub-atomic particle in a piece of dog crap in a much, much bigger universe....

iptables Router/Firewall Script

If you can use the <cntl+alt+F*> combination to get to a new terminal then you won't have to reboot.
    Just use 'ps _aux | less' to view your running processes (or, if you know the name use 'pa -aux | grep <procname>' to get the pid number).
    then use the 'kill' or, if necessary the 'kill -9 <pid>' to kill the process.
    Or, if you know the name of the process, you could just try "killall <procname>".
    We'll get thisright yet!