New Linux OS - Page 14

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux OS

Unhappy sorry

I've been busy latley... and my girlfriend has started dux.. and that's it. but hey, I'm back.
    Ahflack!!! quoteth that fuzzy white winged thing from the inusrence commercial... what was the name of that company again?

OK, from what i've heard, this seems to be a very graphical distro, for all those people who boot to windows three times a day to work with their special graphics programs and play games. Should we include/make (if necessary) new graphical or GUI telnet/r-services/ssh/ftp/etc. clients for those people? At least make some kind of script frontend. Maybe prompt for a username/password before hand, and write an algorithm to process whether the remote system is asking for them, to save newbies the frustration of "WHY WON'T ANYTHING SHOW UP WHEN I TYPE MY PASSWORD!?!?"

Originally posted by Resident_Geek
    OK, from what i've heard, this seems to be a very graphical distro, for all those people who boot to windows three times a day to work with their special graphics programs and play games. Should we include/make (if necessary) new graphical or GUI telnet/r-services/ssh/ftp/etc. clients for those people? At least make some kind of script frontend. Maybe prompt for a username/password before hand, and write an algorithm to process whether the remote system is asking for them, to save newbies the frustration of "WHY WON'T ANYTHING SHOW UP WHEN I TYPE MY PASSWORD!?!?"
    I don't understand what your saying.

But, if you understand it, and you think it will help people. Then go ahead my friend and build one. Or explain it to someone who knows a lot about telnetting and shh'ing
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

My latest screen shot. Visit my My Server.

Registered Linux user #270049
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **

What I meant by that was, the main difference between Windows and LInux is that in Windows, seeing nothing is a bad sign, whereas in Linux, seeing nothing is a good sign because usually only error messages or a final summary are printed to the screen. Since this seems to be targeted at just-switched or still-tied-to-windows users, we should create telnet, ssh, gcc, etc. frontends that keep to the windows way of doing things - status bar, progress meter, etc.

oubipaws Guest

Talking

Newest Info...

Sunsite.dk approved us, and I am now in the process of talking to one of their staff members so that we can stuff set up. I know earlier I had said that we wouldn't use sunsite or sourceforge, but after thinking about it, I believe that we are going to need a server somewhere that we dont have to worry about going down or having to many hits. So we will set up a temp site on Bwzak's server for us, and then I will be getting this whole sunsite thing worked out so that we have that server to move over to permantly.

I have a question for everyone, Instead of spending so much time building the site, how many people would want to have a simple post nuke site? (example: www.tjmiddle.org)
    Instead of worrying about coding the site, I can simply set up a Post Nuke site, add some modules (forums, chat rooms, IRC, etc.) and then we can build some sub pages for it? Its just a thought and I figured I would ask you guys and maybe even save yinrunning a little bit of time.

The guy at sunsite whom I am talking with has said that their large disk servers and not working properly, so as of right now, we will only have a webserver and small file storage. The guy said this should be fixed sometime soon.

Default Gui for Dux?? KDE, GNOME, other?

I know some guys were talking about different update programs before in the forum, could you guys look up the documentation of those programs and email it to me?

lets see, what else needs to be talked about... ooh yeah, we need to start getting some more people interested in the project so that we have more than like 3 developers, and we are also going to need some brainstormers, I know we already have a few, but we are going to need alot of them.

4_legged_duck -> glad to here that you are back

About the guy posting about a graphical SSH? do you mean something like PUTTY? if not I dont fully understand what you are trying to say.

Future: I was thinking about where I want this project to go in the future and I was thinking about how someone though we were going to include VmWare with Dux, and then this idea popped into my head. What if later on down the road we could get the company who creates vmware to sponsor out project and then we would be able to include it. haha, that would be awesome.... anyway, just a thought for later on down the road.

My friend whom is a linux admin recommended we go ahead and buy www.dux.org (or whatever) and then we find someone willing to set up a email server for us with a mailing list for all developers, and along with that, we could also set up a nice CVS. Anyone willing to sponsor the project and pay the 8$ for the domain? I'd buy it but I'm a college student still and I can barely afford to buy very much as it is. Anyway, that just another thing I thought I would bring up.

Sorry about the confusing posts. I couldn't think of a good way to describe it. I tried PuTTY and it looks perfect. Do they have a Linux port? I couldn't find one, but I didn't have a lot of time to search google extensively. We should also have frontends like that for a few other programs. I like how this is shaping up. *wants a copy of Dux*

oubipaws Guest

putty port

a port of putty for linux... hmm i dont know, I'll look into it

Ok, one thing in my mind is, i'm sure its the same for other's too, when we get all the server and stuff.

How do we people (several people), from all around the world, Work on this together?
    Do we split each section up, like XFree, Wm, etc etc so that one person does something different and we put it together?

I never did anything like this before, so i don't really know.

But i'll try asking some other distro group, maybe something small, sorceror or something.

I've installed anjuta, which seems like a great IDE for gnome based programs. I'm also in process of installing kdevelop, which works great with KDE. I'm thinking of a way of combining Gnome/aMSN/ICQ in one small system tray icon. So when we click on it a small menu pops up, with each program's icons. This way it seems a lot more integrated. and aMSN can dock in system tray.

This is a BIG step in programming for me. For one thing i never programmed anything in C/C++, but i'll use this to learn.
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **

How do we people (several people), from all around the world, Work on this together?
    I've been thinkin about that. Seems like we should have one person heading up each section or a couple sections (whatever could be handled), and everyone working on that section of the distro should "report" to them. Thinking along a "team" type structure. A few core people who communicate regularly with each other, and everyone who's doing stuff under them talking only amognst themselves.

I had some stupid business class where we had to simulate a company working on building "a better mouse trap". Well, we split up the class into four groups, and each group had a main contact. All communication went through those four people. That way information was centralized, and if one member of the marketing team had to ask a member of the manuf. team something, that person in manuf. wouldn't get bombarded with the same question 5 billion times, cuz everyone else knew that the question had been asked and what the answer was.

Even if we're doing it in a web-based forum, this makes more sense. We're already doing it, in a way. It's just that oubi is kind of having to juggle all the questions at once.

Another consideration is that there are certain things like, say, ssh key encryption methods, that we don't want just hanging out on our site for anyone to pick up and save for later use of any kind. These things we want to keep internal to the group, necessitating emails and other communications. If every time an email was sent, we had one master list of people who needed to get it, it would give us alot more effeciency in what we were doing.
    Surgeon General's warning: erroneous commands are not strictly endorsed for mass usage.
    http://www.yinrunning.com

Originally posted by yinrunning
    I've been thinkin about that. Seems like we should have one person heading up each section or a couple sections (whatever could be handled), and everyone working on that section of the distro should "report" to them. Thinking along a "team" type structure. A few core people who communicate regularly with each other, and everyone who's doing stuff under them talking only amognst themselves.

I had some stupid business class where we had to simulate a company working on building "a better mouse trap". Well, we split up the class into four groups, and each group had a main contact. All communication went through those four people. That way information was centralized, and if one member of the marketing team had to ask a member of the manuf. team something, that person in manuf. wouldn't get bombarded with the same question 5 billion times, cuz everyone else knew that the question had been asked and what the answer was.

Even if we're doing it in a web-based forum, this makes more sense. We're already doing it, in a way. It's just that oubi is kind of having to juggle all the questions at once.

Another consideration is that there are certain things like, say, ssh key encryption methods, that we don't want just hanging out on our site for anyone to pick up and save for later use of any kind. These things we want to keep internal to the group, necessitating emails and other communications. If every time an email was sent, we had one master list of people who needed to get it, it would give us alot more effeciency in what we were doing.

I would like to be one of the nodes please thank you. I want to put as much of my time into this project as possible, i want this to work

"Dedication is what you need"

I do believe you've asked us this before. And I do believe that at this point we're still not entirely sure, but that we have a much better notion. Help or piss off, how bout that?
    Surgeon General's warning: erroneous commands are not strictly endorsed for mass usage.

Of course we don't! It's been said several times in this thread that we have no idea how we're going to do this! Haven't you read all 14 pages? We're probably in too deep here, but we're gonna make a valiant effort. Of course, now you have prime "I told you so" rights if we give up.

lol. they certainly do, don't they.

right now it's looking like this, roughly:

general, overview, admin:
    oubi

site, art, organizational:
    yinrunning, 4-legged

brainstorming:
    MMA

<two separate, or just one?:>
    programming:
    ?, static?

scripts:
    ?
    <>

packages, install:
    ?

new GUI:
    ???

Whatdya think? Commentary?