New Linux OS - Page 15

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: New Linux OS

oubipaws Guest

Lightbulb

Groups are about the only way we can go at this project, other wise it's just going to be one big confusing mess. As yinrunning said, we need to breakup into small groups and talk amongst our little groups about one certain task, and then if one member has a question, one person can email one of the top people in this project and ask the question once instead of 100 times.
    For example, lets say the following is a group for the KDE team:

Project: KDE 3.1 on Dux
    Members:
    Leader: yinrunning
    Unix Admin: oubipaws
    Web Master: 4_legged_duck
    Coders:
    MMA
    whoever
    whoever
    whoever

That is just like a basic template of how we could lay out the groups and no that is not where people are being assigned to, it was just an example.
    I would like every group to have a webpage so that they may post new info, questions, comments, or what ever else they need to put on it. **Yinrunning, do you feel we could do this easier by building the site from scratch or using a post nuke site? **

I also would like to have who ever the leader his/her assigned group would be the one to go around and look for developers and keep in contact with them instead of me trying to keep everyone who wants to be informed notified of whats going on.
    So with that said, I say we should go ahead and start assigning leader positions to people and have them begin to start finding developers.
    When people find coders who are interested, I still want to be notified, its just that I think that its easier if a certain person is in charge of certain areas.

Another thing as yinrunning said, is security, we really dont need to have passwords, usernames, ip addresses, encryption methods, etc, open to whoever goes in the forums. If we use a post nuke site, this will cut down on some of the security we have to do ourselves and then we worry about the rest later.

I would like mailing lists for every group and then an overall mailing list for the whole project, same goes for forums, one per group, and one overall, plus the few extras (random stuff, general help, code gallery, etc.).

Ok back to assigning groups, I would like to go ahead and get this done.. If anyone feels they are capable of doing this, please email me and let me know what section you would like to work on. Make sure that you know what you are getting into first though, you can't just know a little about whatever you are working on, you have got to know quite a large amount. No I'm not saying you have to know it inside and out, but you do need to know how it works.

I myself and going to stay and kind of keep everyone kind of inline and making sure that everything gets done, a project moderator so to speak.
    I'd like to have 2 other people help me do this, kind of the top dogs of the project, yinrunning and MMA you guys would be good candidates if interested?

4_legged_duck, you still going to be the forum moderator?

sorry guys if this post is kind of out of order, just typing as things come to mind.

I like the structure you got going...great ideas.

I definately cant be the head of anything since I'm such a Linux noob...

But like I said before, I can do a little of everything...web prog., C prog., graphic design, beta testing...basically wherever you want to stick me, or need the help...

We are making some headway though...keep up the good work people...

My System:
    ASUS A7N8X
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+
    256MB OCZ PC3200
    GeForce 4 MX 440 (I want an FX!!)
    Sound Blaster 128 (onboard sound blows)
    80GB Western Digital
    Toshiba 12A DVD-ROM
    Memorex 52X24X52 CD-RW

OSes: SuSe Linux 8.1 Pro/windows 98se
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Whad' your mom buy you a 'puter for Christmas?" -Lord Nikon, "Hackers"
    St@T1c d1sCh@Rg3
    ----------------------------------------------------

yep, i accept the honor of being a mod.

I will do my best.

oubie, it would be good also if you could take one of the scetions too, becuase where in lack of people at the moment.

Also PM me with MSN/Yahoo/AOL/ICQ so that i can contact you easily.

I think these post nuke sites are alright. becuase we don't have to worry about the actual website and stuff. Its already made.

Also i never used mailing list before, don't really know how they work. Just want to let you know.

As i have already mensioned before, we need also an IRC channel.

Before anyone can pick which group they want to be in, we need a list of groups first.

I want to choose a group, but i don't want too much responsibility, well not at the moment anyway.

We need to choose which IM service we should use. I recommend ICQ. becuase you can easily message someone even tho there not online, when they do get online they receive the message.

We need an official list of everyone who wants to participate. This list doesn't have to say what you want to do. We just need to know how many people we currently have. (it would be good if you could right your profession or what your good at).

Ok, then. Its really starting. things are becoming official now.

I can't wait
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

My latest screen shot. Visit my My Server.

Registered Linux user #270049
    -----------------------------------------------------
    ** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **

Everyone who wants to help please reply to this thread saying "i want to help". Thats all you need to say. Not maybe or not sure. It should be a clear answar.
    My new Much Improved, Long waited, Website: http://www.mooktakim.freeserve.co.uk

** AMD Athlon XP 2001+, Giga-Byte GA-7VRXP MB, 640Mb DDR RAM 333MHz, MSI Geforce 4800SE 128Mb DDR, 40x12x48 Liteon CDRW drive, Flower Cooler CNPS6000-CU, 3x 80mm Fans, ADSL Router, **

I Want To Help...

wherever i can help...

does that help...

glad to help...

i need some help...

help

P.S. I have eight free hours a day (get it...LOL)

My System:
    ASUS A7N8X
    AMD Athlon XP 2100+
    256MB OCZ PC3200
    GeForce 4 MX 440 (I want an FX!!)
    Sound Blaster 128 (onboard sound blows)
    80GB Western Digital
    Toshiba 12A DVD-ROM
    Memorex 52X24X52 CD-RW

OSes: SuSe Linux 8.1 Pro/windows 98se
    "Whad' your mom buy you a 'puter for Christmas?" -Lord Nikon, "Hackers"
    St@T1c d1sCh@Rg3
    ----------------------------------------------------

i want to help

I'm fully fluent in C and C++, and I am currently learning how the linux kernel works and such.

New list:

general, overview, admin:
    oubi, yinrunning, MMA

site, art, organizational:
    yinrunning, 4-legged

brainstorming, programs:
    MMA

Programming:
    PolterGeist?
    >Static

packages, install:
    ?

Resident_geek, where do you want to be?
    Surgeon General's warning: erroneous commands are not strictly endorsed for mass usage.
    http://www.yinrunning.com

Wwwooohhooooo!!!!!!!!

I made my first ever program in Linux. It even has a ./configure && make && make install thing.

Its a hello world. In c++, i used kdevelop. I found a good tutorial in kdevelop homepage.

Here's a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

oubipaws Guest
    Groups:

Installation Scripts
    Base Files
    Kernel
    Graphical User Interfaces:
    (subgroups)
    ~ XFree86
    ~ GNOME
    ~ KDE
    ~ 3D WM
    ~ Window Maker

Graphics
    Games
    Internet
    Server
    Development
    Entertainment
    Emulation

Thats the basic layout for the groups unless somebody can come out with a better layout, I just made a real simple one, we will have to make a more elaborate one later on, but you can choose out of those sections for now.

Mooktakim --> I'm glad to here that you are officialy one of the moderators I look forward to working with you and yinrunning as mods.

As mooktakim said, I will be joining quite a few groups (see below)... also to everyone, you can join in more than one development team, or be leader of one and coder on another, I dont really care, just as long as you know what your doing.

So yinrunning is keeping a list of current members and positions, so I will create the group listings and members involved in each. so here is the current list:

Installation Scripts
    Leader: unknown
    Coders:
    none

Base Files
    Coders:
    Oubipaws

Kernel
    Coders:
    none

Graphical User Interfaces:
    (subgroups)
    ~ XFree86
    Coders:
    none

~ GNOME
    Coders:
    none

~ KDE
    Leader: Oubipaws
    Coders:
    none

~ 3D WM
    Coders:
    none

~ Window Maker
    Coders:
    none

Graphics
    Coders:
    none

Games
    Leader: Oubipaws
    Coders:
    none

Internet
    Coders:
    none

Server
    Leaders: unknown
    Coders:
    none

Development
    Coders:
    none

Entertainment
    Coders:
    none

Emulation
    Leaders: Oubipaws
    Coders:
    none

Another thing is, whoever the leader of the team is, that would be the person who contact companies for sponsorship or other needed tools they may need that one of the project mods cannot provide for you.

So anybody looking to fill any group positions, please let me know...

ahh yes, another thing I was thinking about a minute ago, we need to "attack" another forum so that we can get more people... anyone have a recommendation of which forum we should all go to next, or should we all start taking on forums on our own?

Default communication method? what service do most people use? AIM, MSN, ICQ?

IRC --> how do you go about setting one of these up, I've never used it before?

here's another good forum. Although i don't use it as much i do LNO. http://www.linuxquestions.org/ . go and attack

I haven't set IRC up either so i don't really know. I will ask people though.

I would like to be one of the coder's in KDE for now. Thank you.

Let's put together a paragraph or two explaining what we're doing, then we can copy-paste onto other forums?
    Surgeon General's warning: erroneous commands are not strictly endorsed for mass usage.
    http://www.yinrunning.com

oubipaws Guest

Talking :)

MMA --> I added you as a KDE coder

yeah we do need to work on a 2 paragraph type thing to spread around, any one good at righting these types of things? not my area

Originally posted by MMA
    I haven't set IRC up either so i don't really know. I will ask people though.
    I have just been looking on the internet for linux based IRC servers for you and have found the following sites
    http://linux.tucows.com/internet/irc...s_default.html - Lots of servers which can be downloaded from tucows
    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...C/servers.html - A few servers are listed with links
    http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/linux/irc.htm - Detailed instructions on setting up a particular IRC server

BTW If you are interested IRC servers are called "Daemons"

isn't it possble to open a channel called #dux in irc.freenode.net?

OK i opened it.

Its called #dux . I'm the moderator. Soon when i figure out how i will make oubi and yinrunning also mods. Maybe more people too.

the irc server is: irc.freenode.net .