What is Keyword cannibalization?

Thread: What is Keyword cannibalization?

What is Keyword cannibalization?

Keyword cannibalization occurs when you have too many identical or similar keywords spread throughout the content on your website. As a result, a search engine like Google can't discern which content to rank higher. This means that sometimes it will give a higher ranking to the web page you don't mean to prioritize.

Keyword Cannibalization refers to the situation when multiple pages on a website target the same keywords and compete against each other which results site's bad organic performance.

It looks like SEOor website owner had no idea why he or she created these pages. But if you're ranking for two pages for the same keyword, you should be happy. Because many people want to be ranking in top-10 for one page at least.

A site with two or more pages targeting the same keyword that appears for an identical search is referred to as keyword cannibalization. And as a result, it becomes difficult to rank.

I'm not an expert, but my BF is. He told me that it's when you use the same semantic core for two or more articles on your site and they are starting to compete with each other.

Occurs when you have too many identical or similar keywords spread throughout the content on your website. As a result, a search engine like Google can't discern which content to rank higher.

Keyword cannibalization occurs when you have multiple pages on your website that are targeting the same keywords. This can cause a number of problems:
    Your pages may compete with each other for rankings, which can make it difficult for any of them to rank well.
    Your pages may duplicate content, which can lead to a negative user experience and can also hurt your rankings.
    Your pages may be penalized by search engines, which can further damage your rankings.

Hey. I'm new to the forum, so I thought I'd look in the newbies category. Thanks for that explanation by the way.

Am I understanding it correctly, keyword cannibalization is when you've got way too many similar keywords all over your website? As I got, it confuses Google, and it might rank a page you didn't want on top, yea?

You're on the right track with your understanding of keyword cannibalization. Keyword cannibalization occurs when multiple pages on your website target the same or very similar keywords. This can confuse search engines like Google, making it challenging for them to determine which page to rank for a particular query.

The potential issues with keyword cannibalization include:

Ranking Confusion: Google may struggle to decide which page is the most relevant for a specific keyword, leading to unpredictable rankings.

Page Authority Dilution: When multiple pages compete for the same keyword, the authority of each individual page may be diluted, impacting their ability to rank well.

Internal Competition: Instead of working together, multiple pages end up competing against each other, potentially harming the overall visibility of your content in search results.

To address keyword cannibalization:

Keyword Mapping: Clearly map out target keywords for each page on your site to ensure a unique focus.

Content Consolidation: If you have similar content spread across multiple pages, consider consolidating it into a single, comprehensive page.

Use of Long-Tail Keywords: Opt for long-tail keywords to provide specificity and reduce overlap between pages.

Canonicalization: Implement canonical tags to indicate the preferred version of a page to search engines.

By addressing keyword cannibalization, you can improve the clarity of your website's content and enhance its performance in search engine rankings. If you have specific questions or need further clarification, feel free to ask!

In an irresponsible factitious philosophical viewpoint:
    All that so called 'cannibalization' doesn't seem to be the correct term for what's actually happening.. Cannibalism is the 'eating ones own kind', raw and juicy, or cooked, you decide.. It would fit if the word ''government' was cannibalized of a few of its letters: example having the word 'government' being taken bites out of, in losing a few of its letters to becoming 'overmen', having lost its G, N & T from three predatorial bites...

What you're describing seems more along the lines of self-murder, 'suicide', an overbearing pretend elitist dominant entity trying to seize more glorification, more attention, more power, more gratification, more money over innocence by exploiting some sort of applied delusional overly aggressive attitude, stance, posture, and push, like trying to squeeze every drop of juice out of a squeezed lemon by pressing it in a one-ton press the second and third times... The activity you are describing seems to run more along the lines of the typical 'inflated ego puffed-up chest' scenario, 'synthetic self-destructive and/or masochistic out of control greed at the helm) (SOOG) (god-class greed, (GCG)...

In other words: It doesn't exist if you take it at surface values, without trying to mince and add words, delusions. illusions, and desperate themes, between non-existent invisible lines to make sense of something that can't be made sense of... Seems the topic falls and fails under the topic 'BLIND GREED' only, active insanity for short... It's like the newest feature in YouTube videos, in which there are three or more advertisements, not just words, interrupting videos, same SOOG, only worse... And if you believe that, then maybe it'll drive you right round the bend to full goose bozo kookoo, and one day we might find you in YouTube videos running down the street at full noon, totally naked, with a santa-hat on, wildly flapping two turkey wings in hands, coated in honey and glitters, screaming:'I am born-again saved!', winking at, and sticking your tongue out at, all the kiddies playing in their front yards, making them all running screaming to their mummies.. is how crazy it is to be sucked into and laboring upon crazy-world's ongoing prolific greed-biased cyber-cannibalization...

I think what's responsible for it, is the advancement and proliferation of cellphone slang dialect, taken one or two steps too far, above the ladder-rung above the ladder's top rung, like almost everything these days, like spontaneous indiscriminate shootings, from believing there are no limitations to anything, from watching too much of today's sci-fi flics... For those types I highly recommend they do Not stand on nor near cliff edges to get a better view of what's down below, or there's a high degree of probability that one just might become part of what's down below...

To see Real cannibalism, YouTube surf: 'china human meat'.. but only on an empty stomach, and definitely not if you happen to be possessed with a weak stomach, or incurable overly-aggressive self-pity...

This silly note probably could be part of a chapter in this university course I'm authoring: 'Blue Base Eternity the Philosophy of Psychiatry'.. The world is my laboratory...

To avoid cyber cannibalization, write up your web page content trying to not be repetitive.. Ultimate max repetition is like a baby crying for its latrine-servant mummy.. I.E.: Baby feels a sting from its wet diaper stinging old diaper rash.. It says "Ack!".. Mummy doesn't come.. It says "ACK ACK!".. Mummy still doesn't come.. It says three or four "Acks", but still to no avail.. Then it takes in a big breath, and lets out a screaming stream of loud high-pitched screaming "Acks".. 'Crying'.. Mummy comes and changes baby's dirdy diaper.. Oh Yay!.. Cannibalization with intent is essentially 'screaming baby-acks'.. Same goes for the posts we see in blogs which are a series of repeats of the same word(s), by someone attempting to bully another from the baby-crib, like we see in those offensive irritating posts like: "HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!".. Essentially that's 'ack-crying'.. is why I installed the Firefox addon 'hide comments and chat'.. There isn't any intelligence in those silly useless daycare nursery streams.. I don't want to have to see the asylum daycare full of screaming mother-dependent attention-seeking little entitled brats, 'baby-cannibals', all desperate to aggressively present their lies, misconceptions, fears, doubts, and bullying to bait a teacher mummy daddy to teach them what their mummies, daddies, and schools failed to teach them... Then there's the whiners who feel the need to correct your spelling.. WhooH! God save us from the self-righteous perfect whiners...

Write up your stuff like you are chatting with someone you respect, honor, and love, and the viewer will feel that love, and take interest in your webpage.. You don't need to beat the crap out of the viewer to get the viewer's attention.. You don't need to apply greed-biased gimmicks to present your truths.. Truth stands alone...

It's like when and how I met a huge lady grizzly bear in the forest at 1:30 AM up close and personal.. I walked up to it non-threatening like it was my friend.. Stopped eight-feet from it, bowed saying "Greetings your majesty, it's an honor sharing your forest with you", smiled, and sat, and talked to the bear for 45-minutes... I played some head games with the bear.. I freaked her out a bit.. I imagined bringing a huge hand down from the clouds, and imaged giving her a brisk rough shoulder massage with it.. She leaned into the pretend massage.. When she realized I did, she freaked out, her eyes bulged, she flared her nostrils, she hyperventilated, and she probably pooped and peed herself... Next morning where I slept on three sheep skins half out of the tent on that very hot summer night, she came by at 6:45 AM, and sniffed me head to toes twice.. Each time pressing her nose tight to my butt to get a good sniff.. then she walked away politely... Seems I can confidently claim that a huge wild lady shegriz kissed my butt with respect.. Twice!..

It's like the west-coast werewolf that screamed in my ear from the other side of the tent, just a few inches from my ear, making all my skin feel like it was on-fire for about a minute.. I exited the tent, saw that huge slouched black furry monster standing there about 75 feet away, straightened my clothing, brushed my hair back, tossed my pistols and blades into the tent, smiled nice, leisurely walked up to it, paused six feet away from it, bowed, then reached a hand down to between its feet, ever so gently kindly softly furrowing her lady-bits upward perfectly, to running my soft caress up the middle of her chest toward her throat, avoiding touching her throat, placed a soft light gentle hand upon her shoulder, leaned in, and kissed her on the lips from fang to fold and back to fang, till she growled from deep, is when I backed away six-feet, and bowed a lengthy deep bow.. In my peripheral I saw her do a full body rush.. Seems I got to the lady.. We howled at the full-moon together, then she turned, strutting back into her forest, snapping her cutie little black fuzzy butt side to side... Back at the tent I tasted my fingers.. My adrenals emptied to dry-heaving.. All my nerves stung like fire for half an hour from the massive adrenaline overload... Biggest rush you can possibly experience is to taste lady werewolf.. But don't even think of trying it if you harbour fear... My hobby is making friends with monsters.. I am very good at it.. One mistake, you're dead... I don't make mistakes with monsters... I live real-time fearless truth, love, honor, respect when near them... Some of the monsters I've kissed on the lips, just a glimpse of would have average big hero tough guys, peeing in their panties and shoes, and bolting, and running screaming for their mummies, if their legs still worked... If you fear, you aren't living life as it's meant to be lived... Everything in life is connected.. It's all one.. One won't hurt itself, unless it's insane... Look at putin, his fear of life is destroying him and everything and everyone around him, the poor sad snapped guy... A werewolf or grizzly would probably attack and eat him in just seconds...

If you want to meet a real werewolf for the fun and excitement of it, then on a warm summer full-moon night near midnight, establish the white light of protection meditation near the edge of a forest where folklore declares werewolves have been spotted.. Send out the famous white light of protection aura for about half a mile all around you, hold it on, and wait.. That thing rushing at you at about 60 mph, screaming like it's coming from hell itself, is a fun werewolf for you to have some exciting fun with...

After tasting lady werewolf now I can call them to come to me for their kisses and tummy tickles.. They are an alien species that the nephilim creators brought here.. They even understand and speak English, and they have a wicked wicked sense of humor...
    Ladies won't go camping with me a second time.. Probably cuz it takes several hours to dry pee-soaked jeans and runners by the fire...

That's how you write-up your web page, without cannibalization-repeating anything.. It's how you seize and hold interest in your truth, or product.. If you wish donations, then is when you inform the viewer.. "If you want more, then make some donations to help me create you more of what you want and need for you"...
    Tag it once with the best few tags only.. Don't clutter flood it with a tsunami of all the bs goofy tags you can possibly think of, which will only make your webpage fall off the cliff into the foggy abyss, as the experts in this thread have already stated, detailed, and illustrated... Too much is too much.. A glass of pure clean clear chilly spring water in summer is good, but too much water can drown you.. You sure don't want to be drowning your readers, clients, webpages in a big puddle of steaming doodoo, like feeding powerful laxatives to cows, then strolling in the pasture with a blindfold.. The reader smells the doodoo, and instantly clicks to something else.. There are billions of webpages out there, no need to explore one that offends you.. It's like trying to find sense in a YouTube general suggestions search... Recall that flic 2010: "It's full of stars" in '2010 Space Odyssey'.. The sudden overdose of repetitive content killed the guy...

Make it progressive like you are having an honorable conversation chat with someone who knows more about the topic than you do..

Self-cannibalization is exploring the base-traits: stealing, dishonesty, greed..
    The experts already stated that it is self-destructive...
    Blind desperation to become famous drives those negative traits, like babies demanding attention.. If you incorporate aggressive cannibalization, it hurts only you.. The wise viewer's spirit sees through your selfish facade, sees the poopoo through the dirt, gives the mouse a little twitch, and clicks to something else to escape your sewage pond in search of honesty and value somewhere else.. Same when I'm viewing a YouTube video, and a second advert pops up in the middle of the video.. Instantly I dump what I was watching, and click to something else... YouTube general searches seem to be designed to suck-up the most money in infantile bs topics where there's the most money to be sucked-up.. We honest normal people and thinkers don't see nor feel any love, honor, dignity, respect in nor from those latrine-class greed-biased searches, designed and built to bait the entitled mindless infantile millennials curiosity, the ones who frivolously spend the most money on the most useless crap.. Google's YouTube cannibalization advertising policy is self-destructive and suicidal.. It becomes anti-advertising and on the verge of evil, by offending insulting bullying and pushing the viewer away.. Microsoft probably won't see that till they are filing for bankruptcy in about eleven years... The money greed-cancer is extremely powerful...
    Last edited by Demanding Truth; 12-26-2023 at 11:41 AM.